"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I

was not happy."

-Ernest Hemmingway

Friday, January 14, 2011

To infinity and beyond

As a veteran Canadian who has lived through many a long and frigid winter, I reserve the right to complain about the weather. Take today for example: What began as a windy, rainy morning soon gave way to cotton clouds, then blistering sun, sweltering temperatures, overcast skies, more sunshine, storm clouds, torrential rain, and finally a light, breezy evening. How on Earth is one supposed to dress?!?! I spent the temperamental day in a flurry of activities. First on the list, the Gaborone Museum (just off Main Mall). Quite a charming little establishment with a bevy of exhibits. It was refreshing to learn more about the history and culture of the country I was studying in. Not to mention the two locals, aka 'tour guide extraordinaires', who accompanied me and a fellow Canadian. The most interesting feature at the museum was a collection of artwork portraying the fight against HIV/AIDS in Africa. I have never seen so many, er...bananas, in paintings before. Both comical and serious works. Including a sculpture made entirely out of, well, 'rubbers'. ANYWAY. A bit of an eye opener. I also experienced my first combi ride on the journey out to “The Station”. For a reasonable price of 3 Pula you can board a mini bus (think VW van and Little Miss Sunshine), squash shoulder to shoulder with another sweaty passenger, and cross your fingers for luck as there are no seatbelts and the traffic is bumpy, busy, and fast. Quite exhilarating really. The Station is another outdoor shopping area with row upon row of local vendors (all selling suspiciously similar fare), a small strip mall complex, and a buzzing atmosphere. Hold onto your purses ladies! The evening drew to a close with a short cab drive out to the African Mall where a collection of tasty restaurants reside. Our group opted for Thai (when in Africa, why not?) and savoured the break from cafeteria clone food. A cab ride in the city amounts to about 30 Pula-shared among the four passengers-so not a bad option, particularly when safety is a concern. Night has closed in and the mosquitoes are buzzing so I think I'll call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment