"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I

was not happy."

-Ernest Hemmingway

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Orientation

Orientation should be renamed adaptation. Problems with the university computer network have ground registration to a halt and forced the international student coordinators into various acts of improvisation. The campus tour was also cancelled: Alas, I shall have to find my way around by a process of trial and error. Maps are not available. However, the local students are more than helpful, though you will have to approach them and not expect the opposite to happen. Every interaction is a learning experience that will bring you closer to appreciating Batswana (as the people of Botswana are called) culture. Today I had the opportunity to see more of Gaborone as the international students embarked on a bus tour of the city. We passed many commanding buildings (government offices, city hall, Debswana Diamond Company) and ended at Game City, the largest shopping center in Gaborone. If you are worried about culture shock, rest assured there are many ways to surround yourself with North American culture. Case study #1: the mall. It's certainly acceptable to purchase necessities and spend a few hours browsing the shops, but if you can do it at home, avoid it when you travel abroad. I'm looking forward to visiting a local market and learning about the more traditional fare of Botswana. That being said, I did make a very atypical sighting at the mall. A Baboon! Originally mistaken for a dog until it started to scale the fence. While I'm always on the lookout for wildlife, I can't complain about the distance on this occasion. According to the locals, Baboons are notorious thieves and can behave quite aggressively towards humans. I wouldn't like to try my luck in a wrestling match.
Zzzzz: Thank goodness for earplugs! My first few nights in the dorm (or hostel as it is called here) have brought back...er...“fond” memories of my initiation into university living. Some individuals like to party. If you're in search of a truly restful sleep, come prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment