"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I

was not happy."

-Ernest Hemmingway

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Living large

For the more authentic shopping experience, I would recommend Main Mall. There is a veritable combination of clothing stores, grocery stores, odds and ends, and outdoor stalls selling craft items and authentic goods. The daring soul can even purchase a cup of traditional Mopani worms. The tourist information center is also located here, and may be a good place to start planning for weekend trips and other excursions. A great way to get out into rural Botswana, however, is through an invite. And these are surprisingly easy to come by. I only talked for a minute or so with my neighbour and she was already asking me if I would like to join her for church in the morning. While not a very religious person, I was humbled by the invite and eager to experience a different aspect of Batswana life. The morning service was quite rewarding: Of course I still hold to my own personal beliefs, but there were several uplifting moments when the entire congregation was singing together in Setswana. Don't be surprised if you are invited to a wedding (huge, weeklong affairs with often as many as 1000 people), or to spend the weekend at a local village. I consider myself a bit socially awkward and incredibly shy. One heck of a blusher as well. However, sitting down in the cafeteria and introducing myself to a complete group of strangers has never been so well received. It is far more likely that the food may cause you some misgivings. Chicken livers for breakfast? Definitely one aspect of the culture that I don't intend to embrace. If you are a picky eater, the grocery store cashiers might just become your best friend. The offerings at the university cafeteria are limited. The most common companions on my plate are chicken, rice, sorghum, pap, cabbage, beets, soup/sauce (can't decide what it most resembles), butternut squash, and 3 ingredient salad. Variety is not always the spice of life, though, and I am quite satisfied with the food available...perhaps I'll reassess in three months time.
Security alert: It is one thing to heed warnings, but how often do you really believe that horrible things will happen to you? Despite the extensive security briefing delivered at orientation, we were still struck by a scary incident. Two of the students from the program were mugged. I suppose all I can say is...muggings happen everywhere. In New York City, Vancouver, Denver, Los Angeles. Since my arrival in Botswana, I have felt just as safe as in any city (Memphis, for example). I can't speak for my computer or camera, but diligence and precaution should prevent any theft. As to the mugging: Don't walk around by yourself, and if you can't find a taxi after dark, travel in large groups. Many people equate foreigners with money and will target you for that reason alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment