"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I

was not happy."

-Ernest Hemmingway

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bumps in the Road

As the week rolls to an end, I conquer an important milestone: the ID card. Instant access to every facility on campus (library, pool, etc.) and my golden ticket at meal times. The left side of my head is strangely absent from the photo, but when are ID pictures ever photogenic? I am officially a student at the University of Botswana, registered for a cornucopia of classes: Wildlife Biology of Southern Africa (which includes a lecture and field/lab component), Conservation Biology (lecture + field/lab), Plant Pathology (lecture + field/lab), and...drumroll...Gymnastics. I also have my eyes on the UB Wildlife Conservation Society, which is active enough to feature its own website. Volunteer opportunities at the nearby game reserves look hopeful, but definitely merit further investigation. Talking to locals about the various parks/museums/reserves in and around Gaborone, I have come to some interesting conclusions. 1) Travelling, even within Botswana, is very expensive for students. The tourists and international students visit the Okavango Delta...Chobe National Park...the Kalahari Desert...most people born and raised in the country seldom travel outside their village or the closest city. 2) There is not a great deal of interest for natural attractions such as the National Botanical Gardens. Less than a 30 minute walk from campus and several acres in size, I have yet to talk to a local who knows of its existence. And there I am with a gargantuan star marking my map. My roommate probably thinks I'm strange. Reasonable assumption. Her name is Tumi, and though a bit shy and quiet, we've already bonded. Or rather, I've plagued her with questions. Maybe she'll join me on a romp through the Botanical Gardens...

No comments:

Post a Comment