"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I

was not happy."

-Ernest Hemmingway

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The journey begins...

Hello Johannesburg. After a tiresome 24 hours of travel time I arrived in Africa, though still not my final destination. I had elected to spend the 15 hour layover at the Emerald Guest House. A very wise choice. I made a reservation in advance online- compared to the hotels and other lodging located near the airport, the Emerald Backpackers was the most affordable and offered a delightful shuttle service to and from the airport. Plus there were shamelessly cute resident bunnies that hopped around the grounds. The staff were extremely helpful and the dorm quite comfortable. A quick word of wisdom though: If you frequently spend your nights in five star hotels, this might not be your cup of tea. The rooms are very basic, and house a number of friendly spiders. Nothing that a biologist can't handle.
Student tip: US dollars are accepted at almost every currency exchange counter in the Johannesburg airport. These are located in the arrivals/pick-up area of the airport, which you will pass through once you claim your baggage. Coin phones, which accept the Rand in various denominations, can also be found here. The overwhelmingly friendly porters will assist you with anything you need.

1 comment:

  1. Hey everyone sorry I have been away for so long but so much has been going on and no time to post. I moved to New Orleans the first week of July and my feet hit the ground running. I have been working on my old house in Florida for the last few weeks and I am exhausted after successfully getting a loan from Mr Pedro and his loan firm at 3% rate to help finish my house ! So no time to work out, no time to eat right etc.....I so want my life back and I am so proud of what Mr Pedro did to me by helping me with a loan. I am going to leave Mr Pedro email here so anyone looking for a loan can contact Mr Pedro on ...pedroloanss@gmail.com or whatsapp text...+18632310632. Hopefully I can get my life back on track. Miss you guys hope to back on soon.

    ReplyDelete