"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I

was not happy."

-Ernest Hemmingway

Monday, January 31, 2011

Back to Nature

There's nothing quite like trekking up a trail in the African wilderness. Or rather, reaching the summit of Kgale Hill in the outskirts of Gaborone. The view from the top was lovely, as the city was laid out below and neighbouring hills poked at the horizon in the distance. The hike up was a short 30 minute affair, at which point I enjoyed a picnic lunch on giant boulders with my fellow excursionists. We ran across a family of Baboons and several charming lizards on the way down. The journey back to campus required a combi transfer, and I was once again thrilled with the experience. The drivers are friendly, the passengers happy to squeeze, and the rickety buses never fail to make me smile. I also made a trip out to the National Botanical Gardens. Finally some success, after THREE previous failed attempts to locate the site. The map has it plotted incorrectly, and NO ONE in the vicinity even knew of its existence. I would say “very strange”, but I am slowly starting to come to terms with the different sense of direction awareness that is typical here. At the very least, volunteer prospects at the Botanical Gardens look hopeful-I only have to wait on a response to my letter for the Director. Let's see how long that takes...
Bookworm: I recently finished the novel “Three Cups of Tea.” A fabulous read that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, particularly for world travellers and anyone willing to discard wrong assumptions and embrace other cultures.
Casualties: The list of unfortunate incidents is growing. In addition to the start of semester mugging, one room was broken into over the weekend (chains and padlock cut) and the electronics stolen, one girl was drugged at a house party (minor, no medical attention required), and one camera was lifted smoothly from a backpack while a student was walking. While I can't help feeling an impending sense of loss for my valuables, it is easy to stay optimistic as there are so many positive aspects of Botswana that far outweigh the negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment