"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I

was not happy."

-Ernest Hemmingway

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Average Joe

I woke up this morning to find a cow ambling past my dorm room window. Delightful. An early run was in store, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a number of other 'stay-fit' enthusiasts out at the campus track. A few seemed to regard my Yoga workout with curiosity, and I ended up making a couple new friends. My schedule is finally starting to mold itself into something regular and I've started to recognize classmates as I walk around campus. The school week came to an end with a tedious four hour Plant Pathology lab on Friday evening. However, it was my first class held in an air conditioned environment, so I would have gladly spent the whole night plating petri dishes and cutting up spinach leaves. I did manage to slice my finger open with a scalpel in pursuit of leaf blight. After which a classmate informed me that the blades were sharp. Yes, thank you. Hopefully I won't sprout fungal growth in a few days time. A visit to the campus pool cleared me of all worries. The fifty meters of cool, sun kissed water were amazing. Completely refreshing. I spent a solid two hours floundering around in bliss. Unfortunately the student swimming hours are limited from 2:00-6:00pm, so planning around the class schedule is required. And I've decided to take on another student group. The newly discovered UB Ballroom Dancing Club. I headed out Saturday night to enjoy a live competition and get a feel for what was in store. The event was inspiring to the point where I was ready to buy a ballroom gown and put on a pair of dancing heels. Ages ranged from six (cheeky little boys and girls with sequined dresses) to adult. There was a delightful mix of Waltz, Jive, Salsa, Rumba, Cha Cha, and Quickstep. The Jive seemed to be the dance of choice for the competitors, as attitudes sparked and some local moves spiced up the performances. It may be well past midnight but I'm definitely in the mood for a Dirty Dancing movie marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment