"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I

was not happy."

-Ernest Hemmingway

Monday, March 14, 2011

Midterm Report

Name: University of Botswana

Course Content   B
-I used to get hand cramps after lectures back in the States or would go home (particularly after Organic Chemistry) and bang my head on the desk. Here at UB there is a relative lack of material. But is quantity better than quality? At the very least I have a better understanding of the concepts covered thanks to repitition. And outside reading certainly won't hurt the cause.
Course Choice/Availability   B
-on the plus side, there are a number of courses that aren't available in North America (eg. Wildlife Biology of Southern Africa)
-on the other hand, many courses are only offerred during a specific semester, and there's a high degree of course conflict within each faculty (this might not be an issue though, as apparently teachers have the freedom to change their course time and location even after student registration has taken place. Hmm)
Campus Facilities   B-
-classrooms are reasonably modern and most are equipped with teaching aids (eg. Projectors)
-though a regular library patron back home, I rarely frequent the UB library. Why? You can't bring your backpack inside. Instead it's necessary to stand in a mile long line to check your bag and then carry your belongings/laptop/books in you arms. Or balanced on your head. Though that might attract undue attention.
-there are limited printing and computing facilities on campus. The library is equipped with only two printers that respond to only two computers. One of them usually isn't working. And the line is always long.
-laundry room? Perhaps by next semester the TEN washing machines (out of a total of 15) with permanent "out of order" signs will have been repaired.
Professor:Student ratio   A (at least for the upper level courses)
-my average class size this semester is approximately eight. Finally, I can remember all my classmates names!
Professors   C
-again, you win some you lose some. While most of my professors certainly know what they're talking about, there is a slightly different student-teacher realtionship. The States tends to allow for debate and encourages students to have an active voice. A degree of respect for the professor certainly needs to be maintained, but at the same time there is an aooprtunity for student feedback. I do believe my Wildlife Biology professor (sorry, “nature detective” as he prefers to be addressed) would eat my head off if I questioned his behaviour. Showing up twenty minutes late to class (not a one time thing either)? Actually, we the students are at fault for not breaking down the locked classroom door and starting discussions about....well, not sure. That's around the time I stopped listening to him lecture us. I don't think it's right for a professor to condescend to, or verbally berate his students like it's a game.
Grading Scheme   D
-never mind relaxed, easy lectures or irresponsible professors. Come exam day you'd better be in your desk early with a head full of notes and textbooks. The discrepancy is ridiculous! I am not a 60% student, even on my worst days, but that number has appeared all too frequently on my assigments. And forget scoring above 90%...that's unheard of. Above 80%, you're a genius. 70% and above, solid pat on the back. Now, I might be getting a nice back massage these days but I'm certainly not satisfied with the grades. Institutions in Africa might understand the system and not expect straight As across the board on a transcript, but the same can't be said for North America. Whether from thousands of miles away or just across town, a C grade kills your GPA just as effectively. So students be warned! The experience is wonderful and the African perspective interesting...but perhaps look into the pass/fail grade option before choosing the University of Botswana. If you get that approved, you're golden. 
Administrative Staff   B
-this category is a bit of a coin toss. I've dealt with a few helpful and positive individuals, but the majority seem to either hate their job, or hate students. Particularly the cafeteria staff, though perhaps that's because I always cause problems by requesting TWO teaspoons of vegetables instead of the allowed one. Heaven forbid.
Security   D
-I managed (quite daftly) to get myself locked out of my dorm room after a run one afternoon. The RA in every block has a master key, but is only available during a few hour long periods on select days of the week (nicely outlined on bright pink paper posted on the RA's door). I guess tough luck if you require assistance outside those times. I thus went to explain my predicament to the two security guards lounging in the pavillion. After much waffling and sending me off on pointless searches one of them begrudgingly agreed to take me to see the warden (who also has a master key). Or so I thought. There was indeed someone inside the warden's house and music was blaring. I managed to attract the attention of the lady and the guard explained the situation to her in Setswana. Or so I thought! The guard left, the lady slouched back inside, and I stood dumbly expecting her to return with the magical key. Nothing happened for a long five minutes. I knocked on the door and asked about the master key. The very confused lady explained that the guard had said nothing of my predicament and just ordered her to turn the music down. Also, the warden had been off campus for the past week and wasn't expected back for several days (which all security personnel were informed of). Really now!?! Needless to say I've stopped smiling at the guards when I walk past in the morning. Spiteful? Perhaps. Immature? Probably. But that was one heck of a hungry, sweaty, tired evening.
And it's rarely comforting to see security personnel sleeping on the job...
Campus Activities   A
-UB has numerous clubs and organizations to join. Dance aerobics? There's a place for you. Kung Fu master? Come on down. Movie lover? Grab your popcorn. In fact, the most frustrating element is the sheer number of possibilities yet a limited schedule in which to accomodate them all. And I've tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment